Don’t know a thing about hosting a website? Well, get ready as you are about to become a professional from a newbie.
Before making any decision, there are a few certain things that you need to add in your web hosting checklist. To get you started, focus on the following question:
How can I host a website?
For hosting a website, you need to have a web domain (www.example.com) and a web hosting server. Once you have (if you already have them) acquired these two, then proceed further with the website design, layout etc.
What do I need for website hosting?
For website hosting, you need to acquire a web hosting server from a desired web hosting provider. The web hosting provider establishes an online control panel where you can upload, edit, delete files for your website. You can also create pages and design them as you want for the viewers.
Web hosting providers also offer add-on services that mostly include data recovery and backup, DDoS and firewall protection, domain name registration, website applications, technical support, website building tools and email services.
Need a head start?
You can visit our product section and find ample web-hosting and dedicated server services that we offer at the lowest affordable rates. But that’s not it – we also offer:
- Dedicated Support 24 hours a day
- 99.99% Uptime
- DDoS Attacks Protection
- Online Recovery and Backup Plan
- HDD, SSD Linux & Windows Servers
- SSL Certificates
- Free Web hosting for students
And much more.
5 Easy Steps to Host a Website:
Step 1: Choose the category of the website you want
Presently, there are two categories of website hosting:
- Basic/Static/Fixed Website
- Dynamic Website
Here’s how static websites work:
- You write code on any Cross-Platform IDE as you want the HTML page to appear
- Upload the file using cPanel, FileZilla or similar files uploader on web hosting server.
- Save the file and view the page
Why static websites are called static?
The files uploaded on a static website cannot be modified or edited dynamically. For each time, you would need to access the hosting server, open the HTML page’s index.html file and make changes. This is why these websites are called static HTML websites. You cannot modify these pages dynamically.
Dynamic Websites: A dynamic website is more user-friendly and flexible. Dynamic web pages depend upon several factors such as date, time, viewers etc. These pages can also be referred to as ‘server-side dynamic web page’ and client-side dynamic web page (HTML scripting). You can create, edit content/pages on a daily basis without getting into any (static) complexities. Blogs, Social Networking, Photo Galleries and E-commerce websites are the best examples of dynamic websites.
Step 2: Select Hosting Server
Now that you have understood the two categories of websites. It’s time for you to acquire a hosting server. It is quite easy to code and upload web pages on static but, things start to get complicated when you approach web applications. To cater to that, we have two types of hosting servers available online:
- Windows Hosting Servers – That consists of technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server and Access database, .Net, ASP scripts and more.
- Linux Hosting Server – That supports MySQL, PostgreSQL databases and allow scripts that are written in programming languages such as Perl, PHP, Python and similar.
In simple words, if your websites’ requirement is to have scripts, then go for Linux hosting. Otherwise, choose Windows hosting servers as it will be more cost-effective and flexible than Linux.
Step 3: Select a Web Hosting Plan
Once you have selected the type of hosting, now it’s time to choose the kind of web hosting. Presently, the following are the varieties of web hosting services in the mainstream:
- Dedicated Hosting – In this hosting, you get the opportunity to work independently, getting an entire server for your website(s). Dedicated Web Hosting is ideal for large enterprises and business because it is secure, can handle high traffic per website and fast. The only con of the dedicated hosting is cost – it’s a bit pricey!
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting – If the website’s security is what concerns you the most, then VPS hosting should be in your preference list. In VPS hosting, you would find both dedicated hosting and shared hosting. With VPS Hosting, you can run several virtual operating systems on one machine. Flexibility, all-out customization, feasible configuration and user-friendly installations are some of the many advantages of the dedicated hosting.
- Shared Hosting – If you’re looking for an affordable way to live your website/business, then go for Shared Hosting. In Shared Hosting, you will share the physical server with other websites. You will have secure credentials; your data will remain safe with you. The only catch in this hosting is that it divides the cost of server operation between you and the other website (shared) owner.
- Cloud Hosting – To save capital and operational cost, large business and websites such as newsletters, blogs, e-commerce acquire a cloud web hosting services. In Cloud Hosting, multiple cloud-based VPS are linked with each other to run one or several websites at a time. The benefits of Cloud Hosting include smooth traffic handling (including sudden traffic spikes), unlimited flexibility and ample recourses. Cloud Hosting works both statically and dynamically depending upon the daily traffic on the website(s).
Step 4: Change Your DNS Address
This is the important step as here you will have to start making slight changes before to live your website. DNS is Domain Name Server(s) that works like a phone book for the internet. It contains logical addresses (IP Address) assigned by the router or server (DHCP). You will get the Name Servers once you have completed your purchase of web hosting services.
In order to live your website, you will have to first change the DNS of your domain. Here’s how you can change your DNS Address:
- Step I: Go to the hosting’s control panel (cpanel.valuehosted.com: you)
- Step II: Enter the login credentials (registered email address and password)
- Step III: Search and click on Domain Name to change the Domain Name Servers.
- Step IV: Scroll the Domain Registration Section and enter Domain Name Servers options.
- Step V: Replace the current Domain Name Servers with the one you’ve acquired from your web hosting provider, click update and voila!
Step 5: Live Your Website
The final step is very easy. All you have to do is to upload files on the web hosting server and your website is good to go. However, as discussed earlier, there are several ways to upload website files on the server. File Manager, Code Anywhere, cPanel or FileZilla are the most common platforms for uploading files on the server.
Here’s how you can upload your website by using the cPanel:
- Login into your cPanel account (cpanel.valuehosted.com: you)
- Go to File Manager and cPanel File Manager will open in a new window
- Go to public_html and upload all your website files in that folder
- Click on Upload, select files and save. Your website is live